Executive Action on Immigration: A Resource Page
On November 20, 2014, President Obama stated “Now, I continue to believe that the best way to solve this problem is by working together to pass that kind of common sense law. But until that happens, there are actions I have the legal authority to take as President–the same kinds of actions taken by Democratic and Republican presidents before me–that will help make our immigration system more fair and more just.”
The resources below provide information on how the President Obama’s executive order will impact millions of undocumented immigrants, the historical precedent of executive action on immigration, and its legality.
American Immigration Council Resources on President Obama's Executive Action on Immigration:
- A Guide to the Immigration Accountability Executive Action (November 2014)
American Immigration Council Statements on President Obama’s Executive Action on Immigration:
- American Immigration Council Executive Director, Ben Johnson Comments on Executive Action (November 2014)
- President Provides Immediate Relief, Creates Architecture for Reform (November 2014)
- President’s Executive Actions on Immigration Should Spur Congressional Action (October 2014)
Government Resources on Executive Action:
- Fixing Our Broken Immigration System Through Executive Action - Key Facts
- White House Fact Sheet: Immigration Accountability Executive Acton
- Presidential Memorandum -- Modernizing and Streamlining the U.S. Immigrant Visa System for the 21st Century
- Presidential Memorandum -- Creating Welcoming Communities and Fully Integrating Immigrants and Refugees
Resources for Potential Executive Action Recipients:
Historical Precedent of Executive Action on Immigration:
- Executive Grants of Temporary Immigration Relief, 1956-Present (October 2014)
- When Reagan and GHW Bush took bold executive action on immigration (October 2014)
Why Executive Action on Immigration is Within the President’s Legal Authority:
- The President’s Discretion, Immigration Enforcement, and the Rule of Law (August 2014)
- 136 Leading Experts on Immigration Law Agree: President Has Legal Authority to Expand Relief to Immigrants (September 2014)
- Read the letter law professors have sent to President Obama here (September 2014)
- Legal Experts Weigh in on Executive Branch Authority (May 2011)
Related Blog Posts:
- Read all of our blog posts covering executive action on immigration.
Fifty for Fairness
The government’s failure to provide legal representation to children deprives them of a fair hearing and violates both the U.S. Constitution and immigration laws. Join our Fifty for Fairness campaign and help us continue our work as the immigration watchdog.
In The News
Read Our Blog
Read the latest in immigration news at ImmigrationImpact.com, with new articles published every weekday.